"Owasso" is an Osage Indian word, meaning "the end" or "turn around." At the turn of the century, it identified the area where the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad line ended - in a field several miles northeast of Tulsa. In 1906 Owasso formally became a town under laws of the Indian Territory and was chartered as a city on September 28, 1972.
Owasso's population remained at a few hundred people until the end of World War II. Then the veterans came to the area for the developing aircraft industry, mainly the Tulsa Airport, located just south of Owasso. The aircraft and related industries brought families to Owasso from across the Midwest from 1950-1970 raising the population into the thousands.
In the past decade Owasso has been experiencing rapid growth again and is currently the fastest growing city in Oklahoma. Owasso is located approximately 5 miles north of Tulsa off of Highway 169, and east of Highway 75 North. In the year 2003, Owasso became home to more than 29,000 residents and serves an immediate market area comprised of over 57,000 Oklahomans.
Owasso Police Department
Owasso Annual Averages: 8 inches of snow, 39 inches of rainfall, high temperature of 71 degrees, low temperature of 49 degrees
Owasso offers the small hometown atmosphere with big city advantages including a wide variety of businesses and services, a local weekly newspaper - the Owasso Reporter, library, Historical Museum, Gundy's Airport, a local private airport located 3 miles east of Owasso, a retirement complex, two nursing homes and assisted living centers. There are several industrial and manufacturing businesses within minutes, that provide hundreds of jobs to area residents. The Cherokee Industrial Park, located 3 miles west of Owasso, includes major tenants: Bama Pie, Laufin International Tile, Nordam, Ryerson Steel, Sabre, the Whirlpool Manufacturing plant, and WorldCom. The Tulsa Police Academy, the Tulsa Speedway auto racetrack, and several other industries are also located in the complex, 3 miles west of Owasso. The corporate and industrial facilities surrounding the Tulsa International Airport are 8 miles south of Owasso and the Port of Catoosa (Arkansas River navigational Channel to the Mississippi River) is 7 miles east of Owasso.
Convenience and local recreation are a spotlight to Owasso. The Bailey Ranch Golf Club opened in August of 1993 as one of the premier championship public courses in this part of the Country. Community parks, local YMCA facilities and an 80-acre municipal sports-plex available for soccer, baseball and softball offer fun and relaxation to area residents. Additional recreational opportunities are conveniently located at one of the many area lakes: Oologah, Skiatook, Hudson, Keystone and Ft. Gibson (all within 15-40 minutes drive).
Owasso Church List
The Owasso Community Center was built in 1977 with a grant provided by the Federal Government. The building was designated by the government to be a "Community Center", with the stipulation that seniors would always be able to house their activities within the center. Therefore, the Community Center was a City of Owasso building, staffed by City of Owasso employees, giving the community a place to have City Council, Court, Board of Adjustment, and various other City and or community functions a place to meet. As well as being a meeting place for clubs, service organizations, etc. The senior citizens have maintained their two organizations in the building, also. The Owasso Golden Agers, the service arm of the senior programs, provides support, both financially and through volunteers for the programs offered at the center. The Owasso Senior Citizens Foundation is a tax exempt (501-C-3) organization whose primary purpose is to receive and manage a corpus of funds to assure that a viable Owasso Senior program is not totally dependent on government funding.
LINK TO OWASSO
Owasso Chamber of Commerce
Owasso Public Schools